Saturday, January 5, 2013

To: Allen in Hong Kong


香港

Hello Hong Kong! I have a postcard for you! 
Now, I know that Hong Kong is a city in China but, how cool is its own provincial-level flag?

I've never physically been to Hong Kong but, thanks to postcrossing I can get there in 7 to 10 business days- or so, that's how long it would take my postcard to arrive there according to the lady who attended to me at the post office today.


But for now I am checking through immigration and placing a virtual stamp in my passbook.


Every nation under one roof.

I am sending my second postcard to a student named Allen. I can only assume that he is studying something to do with structures because of his interest in landscapes and architecture- so, I send him this postcard of the United Nations building in New York, NY. 


Written postcard to Allen.

Allen, I hope you didn't think I was a complete cheese-ball writing facts about the UN building. I, too, have an interest in architecture and the history behind a structure. One of my favorite things in the world are bridges and my interest in them has led me to an interest in locations, an interest in buildings. One of those buildings happen to be the United Nations Headquarters. 

So, here is a bit of my knowledge on the UN: 
  • UN headquarters is located in New York, NY on East 42nd street and 1st avenue. 
  • There are three subsidiary headquarters in Switzerland, Kenya, and Austria. 
  • The land that the UN building is on was purchased by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and was then donated to the city.
  • The lead architect on the project was Wallace Harrison (who was also the lead architect for many of the buildings owned by the Rockefeller family).
  • Construction for the building began in 1947 and finished in 1952. 
  • Within the General Assembly building (where the big meetings are held!) there are six seats for each country (I've sat in them before!). 
  • The country flags outside the building are in alphabetical order. 


Hand made envelope.

I had so much fun writing this postcard and thinking about all the interesting nations of the world and how we all come together for the better of all. Now, let's hope that lady was right and with all the miles across the sea that it has to travel you still receive it in 7-10 business days.

Allen, I hope you liked your little surprise in the mail and are doing well in that land far, far away. 


xoxo, 
Mariela


No comments:

Post a Comment