Thursday, January 10, 2013

To: Yana in Belarus


Belarus!

Postcard #4 is going to Belarus!

To be honest, I didn't know where Belarus was at. Naturally, I googled it and found out that it's a country in Europe next to Poland, Ukraine, and Russia. 

I just started this blog (because I just began to do postcrossing) and every time I send a postcard I like to include the flag of the country of where it is going to in my blog with a caption of the country's name in its native tongue. Well, I didn't know how to write 'Belarus' because I didn't know what language they spoke over there. Google told me that 36.7% of the population spoke Belarusian, 62.8% spoke Russian, and the remaining 0.5% spoke a mix of Polish and Ukrainian. Well, I don't want to get it wrong so, I just wrote it in plain old English! 

Statue of Liberty

I've been sending Lady Liberty a lot but, trust me it was one of the very few postcards that looked decent enough to be sent off around the world with any dignity. But, I some how can stop thinking of how pretty she looks on Ellis Island over looking Brooklyn and how extraordinarily beautiful she must of been to the eyes of more than eight million immigrants that traveled passed her, a sign of new hope and beginnings, as they entered the promised land. (The image of Rose from Titanic always comes to mind). 

Postcard written for Yana.

Well this Lady Liberty was sent to a little 7 year old girl named Yana. I was very surprised that the next person I'd send a postcard to was a young girl but, how amazing it is that she is taking an interest to learn things from around the world. I think it's a great idea!

While reading her bio I saw that she likes the world of Disney. :-)
I love Disney movies. My aunt used to buy them for me when I was younger and I would constantly watch them. Eventually I learned to sing all the songs from the music scenes and I even knew some of the lines that the characters would say before they even said it!

I have always been fascinated with The Lion King- who can tell me they don't like this movie? It's an iconic screen play and I really really really want to go see the musical on Broadway.

My favorite Disney princess was, and still is, Princess Ariel from The Little Mermaid- I guess I always believed in magic and miracles from an early age. But, how wonderful would it be to swim in the sea and dive with the dolphins!

Another Disney classic that I like but, don't see "advertised" much is Pocahontas- did you know that in history Pocahontas was an actual girl?


Hand made flower print envelope.

I also asked if you watched the Disney cartoon series 'Phineas and Ferb' because I love them! 

I hope the postcard gets to you in good conditions after traveling across the sea

Yana, I hope you liked your little surprise in the mail and are doing well in that land far, far away. 


xoxo, 
Mariela



No comments:

Post a Comment